Registration for the 2015 Lt. JC Stone 50K will open on October 1, 2014. Registration will be limited to 100 runners. Check out our Facebook Page to see what our past runners have to say about the race! We do have fun!
Click here for the....RESULTS of the 2014 Lt. JC Stone 50K (this is a link to the 2014 Race Report Tab. Of course you can also just click the 2014 Race Report Tab at the top of this page. Thanks)
The 2014 Race Report is on the 2014 Race Report Page.
Photos can be downloaded courtesy of our photographer - Frank Piedimonte. Click here
We do have a few photos on the race report page and the race photo page, but for all the pictures please go to the flickr site!
Be sure to join the Facebook Group, Lt JC Stone 50K Ultramarathon. There you will receive updates on the event and posts from participants. Please feel free to share your thoughts and comments on the event at the Facebook Group Page. Thank you. The Rotary Club of Hampton Township appreciates your support and looks forward to this event as one of two annual races that we host. The other is the Firecracker 5K held on July 4 of each year.
LT. JC STONE 50K Oval Window/Bumper Stickers!!
There are two designs. See the images below......
Lt. J. C. Stone 50K UltraMarathon
Registration for the 2015 event will open on October 1, 2014 and will close on March 15, 2015. The 2015 Lt. JC Stone 50K will be held on Saturday, March 21, 2015
If you have any questions regarding this event please contact the Race Director: LouDAngelo@aol.com
GENERAL RACE and COURSE DESCRIPTION
There is a football field at North Park. The field, used for local sporting events, is named to honor Lt. Joseph Charles Stone. Known as J.C. to his friends and family. J.C. enlisted to serve the USA in the Viet Nam War. He was a decorated Green Beret who gave his life for his country when the small village where he was engaged was overrun by the Viet Cong. His legacy is one of bravery. This run is in memory of J.C. and all the brave soldiers who have fought for our country.
The course starts at the North Park Boat House with a short loop, then proceeds to complete six 5-mile loops around scenic North Park Lake. Approximately 2.5 miles from the Boat House runners will pass Lt. J.C. Stone Field. This 5-mile loop has been the home to many exciting Ultras in the past. This course is the same course as the former GNC 50K/50Mile/100K race. UltraRunners from all over the country ran this course as for several years it was host to several National Championship Road Races. The course is awesome. Asphalt running trail that follows the shoreline of North Park Lake. It will be very well marked and will have volunteers stationed along the course so that you can focus on running and leave the logistics to us. Rolling hills and very runable.
Registration Fee: $50
Race Stuff: Tech fabric running shirts, Excellent Finisher Medal, Pizza and cook-out at the finish. Music provided by our very own "DJ KK".
Race Logistics: Two aid stations, park your vehicle at the Starting Line!!, Registration table inside the boat house, Indoor rest-rooms for your pre-race and post-race comfort. We have the boathouse for the day.
We consistently have several men and women listed in Ultrarunning Magazine's fastest 50K times.
The schedule is being developed for the 2015 race! Please enjoy the race reports from our past events, and some photos. Join us on Facebook under Groups. Lt. JC Stone 50K Group is out there and is a good way to follow us and receive updates and information about the event.
Saturday, March 21, 2015
Runners Check-in & Packet Pickup for Runners from 6:00am - 7:30am
Pre-race Information Meeting @ 7:45am at the starting line (unless the weather forces us to hold the meeting indoors.)
ALL runners should be at the starting line @ 7:45am
Race Starts @8:00am SHARP (7 hour time limit, but I will stay a little longer if you need some extra time)
Awards - Presented as runners cross the finish line. There is no official award ceremony but I encourage you to stick around, enjoy some pizza and beverage (beer, soda, water, etc). Results are posted promptly.
Race Closes @ 3:00pm, Picnic and food continues to 4:00pm+.
INSTRUCTIONS For RUNNERS
- The three rules that are strictly enforced: 1) No litter, 2) No pacing by motorized vehicle, and 3) No Aid given from any moving vehicle (bikes are vehicles). You will be disqualified for running afoul of these rules. Please don’t.
- No running pets please. This is a people race.
- Rules that the North Park/Allegheny County Police will enforce are, 1) Exceeding the speed limits around the park, 2) bicycling in the ‘wrong’ direction. The park is a one way cycling park with marked lanes. We run the race in the 'opposite' direction of the bicycle path. Bicycles are permitted on the course. Please observe all signs.
- We start and finish at the North Park Boat House. We have the boat house facility which includes indoor, warm, clean restroom facilities, several picnic tables and the food!
- Parking at the North Park Boat House has been reserved for you, your crew, your family and friends. I expect we will have plenty of room. This is a crew-friendly course, and is supported well with two aid stations. Aid every 2.5 mile. Your can have a pacer. If your pacer is going to run the entire distance they do need to register for the event.
- Please do not litter. Drop your trash at the aid stations, and we will take care of the rest.
- Registration through active.com will be $60 up until March 15, 2015.
- Pre-registration is considered to be registration by midnight March 15, 2015.
- Runners who pre-register will receive two tech fabric shirts (The shirts are awesome). Pre-registered Finishers will receive a finisher's medal (The medal is way cool). Registration after March 15 will only be available if the race hasn't sold out. 2013 and 2014 were both sell-outs and I hope that is a trend that continues. Also, after March 15 you do run the risk of no shirt and no medal (I will try to prevent this from happening, but help me out by registering as early as you can).
- There is no registration by mail. If we don't fill the field we will accept walk-up registration until to 7:30am on race day (the entry fee will be $75), and there is a strong risk of no shirt or medal if you register on race day.
- Top three female and Top three male finishers will receive a unique commemorative award. Top three masters (age 40+) male and top three masters female will receive a unique commemorative award.
- All runners must check in before 7:30 a.m. on Saturday morning to get their number. This is essential because we will start the race on time. The race will start promptly at 8:00 a.m.
- Runners will have access to indoor bathrooms before, during and after the run. While we don’t have showers, we do have indoor plumbing. Runners will also have access to bathrooms and port-a-potties along the course.
- PACERS are allowed from start to finish. But if your pacer is running the whole way, they will need to pay the registration fee as a runner. Your pacer has complete aid station access. They won't get a shirt or medal (unless of course they pre-register for the race.)
- The Boat House aid station will offer runners food and beverage including sport bars, cookies, pretzels, crackers, water, sports drink and soda pop.There is a different mix of aid station food each year.
- Dropbags may be left at the Boat House Aid Station. In fact you can have your own little area set up near your vehicle. Bring a chair, a cooler and a towel. Make it your own oasis of support if you care to.
- The temperature can vary drastically in March. Be ready for anything from a wet 35o F. to temperatures in the 70o's. I am hoping for 48F and partly cloudy (which is what we had for 2014, however it was a windy day). It's Pittsburgh so you just never know! Let's see what 2015 has in store fur us.
- Please report to the finish line area if you happen to drop from the race. Don’t just walk off, we will be worried about you and will spend time looking for you.
Some local hotels in case you need to spend the night.
Home 2 Suites. 8630 Duncan Avenu, Pittsburgh, PA 15237. (This is a new hotel located 4 miles from the starting line. I will let you know if I am able to negotiate a rate with the manager) Very nice. Located 10 minutes from North Park Boat House. 412-630-8400. 3 Star. $$
740 Pittsburgh Road (Rt. 8), Butler, PA 16002. (724)586-7711. firstname.lastname@example.org. Very nice. Located about 35 minutes from North park Boat House. 4star. $$$
Holiday Inn Pittsburgh.– North Hills.
4859 McKnight Road , Pittsburgh , PA 15237. 412-366-5200. Nice Hotel. Located within 15 minutes from North Park. 3 Star. $$
Hampton Inn.– North Hills,
4575 McKnight Road , Pittsburgh , PA 15237 . (412)939-3200. 15 Minutes from North Park Boat House. 3 Star. $$
Comfort Inn. 4607 McKnight Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15237.
DIRECTIONS to North Park Boat House
GPS Coordinates for the Boat House
Directions from the PA Turnpike (both eastbound and westbound travelers)
Take Exit #38 (Butler/Pittsburgh), Travel 100 yards north on Rt. 8 towards Butler . Get in the
Directions from the South of Pittsburgh via Rt. 79 and Rt. 910.
Take Route 79 North towards Wexford. Exit at Wexford Rt. 910 East. Travel Rt 910 East for approximately 4 miles. Turn Right onto Pearce Mill Road. Travel straight into the park. You will know when you are in North Park because the speed limit changes to 15MPH. Don't speed. The County Police are very polite when they ticket you. You've been warned. You will travel on Pearce Mill Road for approximately 2 miles. Travel up the hill and on the way down the hill look to your right and you will see the Boat House. Make a right into the parking lot. This is the Start and Finish for the event.
If you have additional questions about the Lt. J.C. Stone 50K,
Contact Lou D’Angelo, Race Director
By email at LouDAngelo@aol.com
"When you see someone putting on his running shoes,
you can be pretty sure that an adventure is about to happen."
- Winnie the Pooh