2017 Lt. JC Stone 50K Road UltraMarathon Information
GENERAL RACE and COURSE DESCRIPTION
There is a football field at North Park. The field, used for local sporting events, is named to honor Lt. Joseph Charles Stone. Known as J.C. to his friends and family. J.C. enlisted to serve the USA in the Viet Nam War. He was a decorated Green Beret who gave his life for his country when the small village where he was engaged was overrun by the Viet Cong. His legacy is one of bravery. This run is in memory of J.C. and all the brave soldiers who have fought for our country.
The course starts at the North Park Boat House with a short loop, then proceeds to complete six 5-mile loops around scenic North Park Lake. Approximately 2.5 miles from the Boat House runners will pass Lt. J.C. Stone Field. This 5-mile loop has been the home to many exciting Ultras in the past. This course is the same course as the former GNC 50K/50Mile/100K race. UltraRunners from all over the country ran this course as for several years it was host to several National Championship Road Races. The course is awesome. Asphalt running trail that follows the shoreline of North Park Lake. It will be very well marked and will have volunteers stationed along the course so that you can focus on running and leave the logistics to us. Rolling hills and very runable.
Registration Fee: $60. Registration will increase to $75 on March 1, 2017. So, if you try to sign up at Midnight on 3-1-2017 you will pay $75. Race Day Registration (if available) will be $80.
VERY IMPORTANT: If you register after March 1, 2017 there is a chance you will not receive a race shirt, or a finisher medal. Please register early. We have never had this occur and I don't want you to be the first runner in our decade-long event to experience a 'no race-shirt meltdown'.
Race Stuff: Tech fabric running shirt, Excellent Finisher Medal, Pizza and cook-out at the finish. Music provided by our very own "DJ KK" (weather dependent).
Race Logistics: Two aid stations, park your vehicle at the Starting Line!!, Registration table inside the boat house, Indoor rest-rooms for your pre-race and post-race comfort. We have the boathouse for the day.
We consistently have several men and women listed in Ultrarunning Magazine's fastest 50K times.
Saturday, March XX, 2016
Runners Check-in & Packet Pickup for Runners from 6:30am - 7:30am
Pre-race Information Meeting @ 7:45am at the starting line (unless the weather forces us to hold the meeting indoors.)
ALL runners should be at the starting line @ 7:45am
Race Starts @8:00am SHARP (7 hour time limit. Unless the weather is really horrible I will stay a little longer if you need some extra time.)
Awards - Presented as runners cross the finish line. There is no official award ceremony but I encourage you to stick around, enjoy some pizza and beverage (beer, soda, water, etc). Results are posted promptly. Our top runners have been great about sticking around and cheering on the pack as we get more runners across the line!
Race Closes @ 3:00pm, Picnic and food continues to 4:00pm+.
INSTRUCTIONS For RUNNERS
- The three rules that are strictly enforced: 1) No litter, 2) No pacing by motorized vehicle, and 3) No Aid given from any moving vehicle (bikes are vehicles). You will be disqualified for running afoul of these rules. Please don’t.
- No running pets please. This is a human race.
- Rules that the North Park/Allegheny County Police will enforce are, 1) Exceeding the speed limits around the park, 2) bicycling in the ‘wrong’ direction. The park is a one way cycling park with marked lanes. We run the race in the 'opposite' direction of the bicycle path. Bicycles are permitted on the course. Please observe all signs.
- We start and finish at the North Park Boat House. We have the boat house facility which includes indoor, warm, clean restroom facilities, several picnic tables and the food!
- Parking at the North Park Boat House has been reserved for you, your crew, your family and friends. I expect we will have plenty of room. This is a crew-friendly course, and is supported well with two aid stations. Aid every 2.5 mile.
- Your can have a pacer. If your pacer is going to run the entire distance they do need to register for the event.
- Please do not litter. Drop your trash at the aid stations, and we will take care of the rest.
- Registration through ChronoTrack will be $60 up until March 1, 2017.
- Pre-registration is considered to be registration by midnight February 28, 2017.
- From March 1 to March 17, registration will be $75. This is NOT pre-registration. This is last minute registration. You may not get a shirt or a finisher medal. I will try and accommodate, but please register before March 1.
- Runners who pre-register (3-1-2017) will receive a tech fabric shirt (The shirts are awesome). Pre-registered Finishers will receive a finisher's medal (The medal is way cool).
- Registration after March 1 will only be available if the race hasn't sold out. Also, after March 1 you do run the risk of no shirt and no medal (I will try to prevent this from happening, but help me out by registering as early as you can).
- There is no registration by mail.
- There is race-day registration ONLY if there are still spots available.
- There are no deferrals and no refunds. Please don't request a refund, the money raised by this race is used by the Hampton Township Rotary Club for charitable purposes.
- Female and male top three Overall finishers will receive a unique commemorative award. Following the determination of the Overall awards we will also present an award to the top Master (age 40 - 49) finisher, and to the top Grand Master (age 50+) finisher, both female and male. No double dipping of awards. If a 55 year old wins outright he/she get the Overall award, not the Grand Master award.
- All runners must check in before 7:30 a.m. on Saturday morning to get their number. This is essential because we will start the race on time. The race will start promptly at 8:00 a.m.
- Runners will have access to indoor bathrooms before, during and after the run. While we don’t have showers, we do have indoor plumbing. Runners will also have access to bathrooms and port-a-potties along the course.
- PACERS are allowed from start to finish. But if your pacer is running the whole way, they will need to pay the registration fee as a runner. Your pacer has complete aid station access. They won't get a shirt or medal (unless of course they pre-register for the race.)
- The Boat House aid station will offer runners food and beverage including sport bars, cookies, pretzels, crackers, water, sports drink and soda pop.There is a different mix of aid station food each year.
- Dropbags may be left at the Boat House Aid Station. In fact you can have your own little area set up near your vehicle. Bring a chair, a cooler and a towel. Make it your own oasis of support if you care to.
- The temperature can vary drastically in March. Be ready for anything from a wet 35F. to temperatures in the 70's. I am hoping for 54F and partly Sunny. It's Pittsburgh so you just never know! Let's see what 2017 has in store for us.
- Please report to the finish line area if you happen to drop from the race. Don’t just walk off, we will be worried about you and will spend time looking for you.
- If you have a confrontation or an unpleasant encounter with a cyclist, walker or jogger at the park, please report it to one of the volunteers at the aid station. Try really hard not to escalate it. We have had very few issues. I have police presence at the park and they will respond if I call them. I get a permit issued each year and the Park Administration has been great to work with. Let's do what we can to keep it that way. I will really appreciate it.
So, quick recap: No cash refunds. No Deferrals.